Website design and development in 2014-15 by the Design Action Collective, in collaboration with ERt staff. Design Action Collective’s Miguel Valencia has provide technical support since 2020, taking over management from Ria Anderson.
“Design Action provides graphic design and visual communications for progressive, non-profit and social change organizations. By providing these high-quality professional services, we seek to contribute to building a broad and effective progressive movement and participate in the struggle for social justice.” Learn More »
The Economic Roundtable’s updated logo was created in 2014 by Design Action Collective’s Sabiha Basrai; we love what she created for us.
Back-End & CRM
Our back-end customer relationship management (CRM) software is provided by the Progressive Technology Project (PTP). Their PowerBase on-line software “is a full-featured toolset to help you build and engage your constituency both online and on-the-ground. PowerBase is a database built by organizers and supported by the Progressive Technology Project.” The Economic Roundtable uses PowerBase to keep in touch with people who’ve downloaded and read our reports, attended our workshops and talks, and otherwise are allies in improving public policy concerning jobs, wages, social services, housing, and the environment. Economic Roundtable staff email you when new reports are released (sign up to “Get Updates” at the top of this page ↑) and often survey past report readers about research questions to include in new projects that match their interests.
PTP’s PowerBase project is built on an existing, open source database tool: CiviCRM. When we use our PowerBase, what we’re “using is a version of CiviCRM, prepared by PTP, that is designed to meet the needs of organizing and advocacy groups. CiviCRM and PowerBase enjoy a close working relationship and in fact much of the code PTP commissioned in the creation of PowerBase has been included in core modules of CiviCRM.” Although we use it unconventionally, to track report readers rather than organizing community members face to face, the Economic Roundtable is proud to utilize and support these two open source database projects.
- “Demolishing Homeles for Air Cargo,” Slider image of Prime Airplane, modified by Economic Roundtable. Source: Beth Hollerich, Pittsburgh Airport Authority.
- “Hungry Cooks,” slider image of Chick-fil-A restaurant, modified by Economic Roundtable. Source: screen grab from Fox61 story, “Chick-fil-A chosen as America’s top fast-food spot; McDonald’s ranked last,” https://www.fox61.com/article/news/nation-world/chick-fil-a-rated-top-fast-food-restaurant/507-d240bf7e-8ddd-4db1-a5a9-94ef7f692af4.
- “Breaking the Fall,” slider image of workers in an agricultural field, photograph by Marjory Collins, “Braceros harvesting sugar beets,” Stockton vicinity, Library of Congress, 1943
- “Albertsons, Kroger merger could hurt California’s economy” slider image of Rodney McMullen from the Cincinnati Enquirer, used with paid permission. 2022/11/14
- “Places for Homes” slider image of construction project in Los Angeles, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2022/11/14
- “Select Someone Else’s Ocean” slider image of the container ship One Commitment (IMO: 9629902, MMSI 431332000) while at port in San Pedro Bay, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2022/09/20
- Image for blog post, “Yes you can be employed and homelessness.” Credit for original image: “A Farm-to-Table Take on Fast Food,” Seattle Weekly, https://www.seattleweekly.com/food/a-farm-to-table-take-on-fast-food/. Photograph modified by Economic Roundtable.
- Image for blog post, “Fast food industry runs fact-free ad ignoring homelessness.” Credit for original image: Beef Bread Bun – free photo, Pixabay, https://pixabay.com/photos/beef-bread-bun-burger-cheese-1239198/. Photograph modified by Economic Roundtable.
- “Covid income and housing initiatives slowed the growth of homelessness,” blog image of “Seaweed Gather, by Paul Sérusier, cira 1890, Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields
- “Public benefits should offset public costs,” blog image of containers in Long,Beach, California, 2021/10/20, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2022/07/07
- “American ports should serve the American public,” image of the container ship YM Travel (IMO: 9878503, MMSI 352986159) while at port in San Pedro Bay, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable.
- “The kindness of strangers feeds us for a day, a job feeds us for life,” blog image of a Los Angeles Regional Food Bank truck. 2021/01/11
- “If wages don’t count why should votes?” image of Donald Trump from BBC 6. 2020/12/03
- “Racial Injustice and the Pandemic Economy,” image of George Floyd, Shutterstock via Sky News. 2020/06/09
- “Preventing Chronic Homelessness with Early Intervention,” 2019/06/05
Press Release Thumbnails:
- Press release thumbnail for “Hungry Cooks: Poverty Wages and Homelessness in the Fast Food Industry” press release thumbnail photo by Shahbaz Ali on Unsplash.com. 2023/05/02
- “Demolishing Homeles for Air Cargo,” publication thumbnail photo, screen grab from Google Maps.
- “Hungry Cooks: Poverty Wages and Homelessness in the Fast Food Industry,” publication thumbnail photo by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable, 2023/04/29.
- “The Kroger-Albertsons Merger Will Eat the Last Sweet Bite of Grocery Store Competition: The deal between Albertsons and Kroger would trigger store closures, job losses and cost increases for consumers,” publication thumbnail from Los Angeles City College FoodForThought. 2022/11/14
- “Los Angeles County Homeless Count Data Library: Source Records from Los Angeles Continuum of Care Homeless Counts, 2007 to 2022,” publication thumbnail, “Homeless,” Camille Jacob Pissarro, 1896, Hecht Museum, University of Haifa.
- “Places for Homes: Where Los Angeles Can Build More Housing: Concept Paper on Redeveloping Rent Stabilized Properties in the City of Los Angeles,” publication thumbnail of construction project in Los Angeles, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2022/09/20
- “Select Someone Else’s Ocean,” publication thumbnail of the container ship One Commitment (IMO: 9629902, MMSI 431332000) while at port in San Pedro Bay, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2022/06/29
- “Hungry at the Table: White Paper on Grocery Workers at the Kroger Company,” publication thumbnail, Paul Cezanne, Still life with basket (1888), Musée d’Orsay, Paris, France. 2022/01/11
- “Locked Out: Unemployment and Homelessness in the Covid Economy,” publication thumbnail, photograph of Pasadena Job Center by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2021/01/06.
- “In Harm’s Way: California Workers at High Risk of Unemployment in the COVID-19 Pandemic,” publication thumbnail, public domain image by In-N-Out Burger. 2020-04-10.
- “Healthy Terminals: Assessing an Airport’s Healthcare Benefits Supplement in New Jersey and New York,” publication thumbnail, public domain image by PANYNJ. 2020-04-05.
- “Too Big to Govern: Public Balance Sheet for the World’s Largest Store,” publication thumbnail, public domain image by Los Angeles County, 2019-11-26.
- “Outcomes from Rent Stabilization in San Jose: Research to Support 2019 Updates to the Apartment Rent Ordinance Regulations,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Patrick Burns, Economic Roundtable, 2019-11025.
- Rapic Re-employment Offers and Escape from Cardboard City: Homelessness Is an Income Problem as well as a Housing Problem,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Los Angeles Times, 2019-06-06.
- “Who Counts: Assessing Accuracy of L.A.’s Homeless Count,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Los Angeles Times, 2017-11-20.
- “Flying Right: Giving U.S. Airport Workers a Lift,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Ucak Kazalari, 2017-06-21.
- “Prioritizing Which Homeless People Get Housing Using Predictive Algorithms: An Evidence-Based Approach to Prioritizing High-Cost and High-Need Homeless Persons for Permanent Supportive Housing,” photograph by Mercury News, 2017-07-11.
- “Silicon Valley Triage Tool: Identifying and Housing High-Cost Homeless Residents,” publication thumbnail, photograph by SFGate, 2015-12-22.
- “All Alone: Antecedents of Chronic Homelessness,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable, 2015-08-06.
- “Effects of a Fifteen Dollar and Hour Minimum Wage in the City of Los Angeles,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2013.
- “Getting Home: Outcomes from Housing High Cost Homeless Hospital Patients,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2013.
- “Jobs, Wages and Housing: Affordable Housing Benefit Fee Study,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2012.
- “Get Back to Work,” publication thumbnail, graphic by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2012.
- “Water Use Efficiency and Jobs” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2011.
- “Crisis Indicator: Triage Tool for Identifying Homeless Adults in Crisis,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2011.
- “Where We Sleep: The Costs of Housing and Homelessness in Los Angeles,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2009.
- “Op-Ed: Organized Labor Lifts LA Economy,” publication thumbnail, Works Progress Administration, public art, Wikipedia.
- “Economic Growth,” publication thumbnail, graphic by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2007.
- “Beverly-Virgil Economic Strategy” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2006.
- “Los Angeles Labor Market Strengths and Weaknesses,” publication thumbnail, graphic by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable. 2005.
- “Prisoners of Hope: Welfare to Work in Los Angeles,” publication thumbnail, “Freedom Man,” public domain image, 2003.
- “South Los Angeles Rising: Opportunities for Economic Self-Sufficiency Ten Years After the 1992 Civil Unrest” publication thumbnail, photograph by Economic Roundtable. 2002.
- “City of Long Beach Business Survey 2000,” publication thumbnail, graphic by Economic Roundtable. 2001.
- “On the Edge: A Progress Report on Welfare to Work in Los Angeles,” publication thumbnail, public domain photograph by County of Los Angeles, 1999.
- “South Bay Economic Adjustment Strategy” publication thumbnail, photograph by Economic Roundtable, 1998.
- “The Gateway Cities Economy: Impacts of Aerospace Restructuring” publication thumbnail, photograph through International Press Telecommunications Council, Wikimedia Commons, 1998.
- “By the Sweat of their Brow,” publication thumbnail “Hard Work” by Alex Proimos, from Flickr under the Creative Commons “Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC 2.0)” license.
- “Survival Skills: Welfare to Work in Los Angeles” Report by Mark Drayse, Cher-Amie Inocentes, Daniel Flaming and Peter Force / Economic Roundtable,” publication thumbnail, photograph by Daniel Flaming, Economic Roundtable, 1998. Photo of Workers Party demonstration outside the Social Welfare Local Office, Clondalkin, Ireland.
- “Ventura Capital Market Connection Survey” by Mark Drayse / The County of Ventura-Economic Development Collaborative (EDC-VC), 1998. Photo of Office of Naval Research, obtained from the BEMR Lab Flickr album, but no longer included therein.
- “Economic Restructuring in Long Beach: Opportunities and Challenges in a Post-Aerospace Economy” by Mark Drayse, Daniel Flaming and David L. Rigby, UCLA Lewis Center for Regional Policy Studies / Economic Roundtable, 1997. Photo “Long Beach McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Plant; 28.07.1995” by Aero Icarus, Zürich, Switzerland, obtained and used 1995.
- “Long Beach Business Report Card: 1997 Long Beach Business Survey” by Daniel Flaming / Economic Roundtable, 1997. Photo of Shoreline Square Tower office building, 301 E. Ocean Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90802.
- “Southeast Los Angeles County Economic Adjustment Stategy” by Daniel Flaming, Mark Drayse and Michael Beltramo-Beltramo And Associates / Economic Roundtable, 1996. Photo oif the Los Angeles basin from the Griffith Observatory.
- “Long Beach Business: 1996 Long Beach Business Survey” by Mark Drayse and Daniel Flaming / Economic Roundtable, 1996. Photo of Rainbow Harbor, City of Long Beach.
- “Post Cold War Frontiers: Defense Downsizing and Conversion in Los Angeles” by Michael Oden-Rutgers University Project on Regional and Industrial Economics, Ann Markusen-Rutgers University Project on Regional and Industrial Economics, Daniel Flaming and Mark Drayse / Economic Roundtable, 1996. Photo of the Lockheed Skunk Works, from the Gizmodo online article “Fascinating Photos Reveal How They Built The SR-71 Blackbird” by Jesus Diaz, February 9, 2015.
- “Long Beach Business: 1994 Long Beach Business Survey” by Daniel Flaming / Economic Roundtable, 1995. Photo of the Queen Mary Ocean Liner Full Starboard Side, Long Beach, CA.
- “Technology and Jobs: Defense Conversion in the Los Angeles Region” by Daniel Flaming and Mark Drayse / Economic Roundtable, 1994. Photo “The USS Arizona Memorial glows in the night in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii” owned by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- “Jobs in Construction: Building Trades Opportunities in South-Central Los Angeles” by DANIEL FLAMING AND JO-SHING YANG / COMMUNITY BUILD, 1994. Photo from the Los Angeles Black Worker Center.
- “Jobs and Air Quality: Analysis of Emissions Per Job by Industry in the South Coast Basin” by Daniel Flaming, Elizabeth Reid and Mark Drayse / South Coast Air Quality Management District, 1993. From the United Nations Environment Programme, “Air pollution and climate change: two sides of the same coin“
- “Creating Transportation Jobs: Aerospace Industrial and Workforce Capabilities for Surface Transportation Manufacturing” by Mark Drayse, Odessa Dubinsky, Daniel Flaming and Elizabeth Reid / The South Coast Air Quality Management District, 1993. Photo of Gate C19 at Boston’s Logan International Airport, 15 January 2010 by Jeremy Kemp, who grants the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.
- “Job Information in an Emerging Economy: Designing the Future Standard Occupational Classification” by Mark Drayse, Odessa Dubinsky, Daniel Flaming And Robin Law / Western Area Occupational Analysis Field Center, 1993. Photo of the cover of the Standard Occupational Classification Manual.
- “Los Angeles Standard Light Rail Vehicle: Products and Services Directory” by Elizabeth Reid / Los Angeles County Transportation Commission Rail Construction Corporation, 1992. Photo of Expo Line test train southbound on Flower Street. This image, which was originally posted to Flickr, was uploaded to Commons using Flickr upload bot on 27 September 2012, 18:01 by George Miquilena. On that date, it was confirmed to be licensed under the terms of the license indicated.
- “Air Quality Rules in the South Coast Basin: Industrial and Geographic Impacts” by Mark Drayse And Daniel Flaming / South Coast Air Quality Management District, The Environmental Compliance Support Association Of California, 1992. Photo rural smoke stacks courtesy Daniel Boyd via Creative Commons license.
- “Los Angeles County Occupational Opportunities 1990: Labor Market Outlook Report” by Christopher Payne, Goetz Wolff, Henry Chang and Jennifer Roszell / The Los Angeles County Private Industry Council, The State of California Employment Development Department-Labor Market Information Division, 1990. Photo of Working American rally, https://www.workingamerica.org/